Child's Benefits

This benefit is payable to each child of a participant who is entitled to a retirement, early retirement or disability benefit or who has died in service, while the child remains under 21.

The child’s benefit begins at the same time as your own benefit. For the recipient of an early retirement benefit, a child’s benefit is payable as from the time a participant who separated on early retirement reaches his/her normal retirement age (60 or 62), unless the child is determined to be disabled, in which case payment of child’s benefit commences at the same time as an early retirement benefit.

Once the child turns 21, a determination will be made by the Staff Pension Committee of your former employing organization as to whether the child is incapacitated for substantial gainful employment. Once awarded, the child disability benefit is reviewed periodically to determine that the child continues to be eligible to receive the benefits.

A benefit is not payable for a child born after the date of your separation, unless the child was conceived before then. Nor is a child’s benefit payable if you have taken a deferred retirement benefit or a withdrawal settlement. Also, please note that the UNJSPF does not provide a benefit for children who continue their higher education after reaching age 21.

Conditions for Child's Benefit

Who is considered a child for UNJSPF pension benefit purposes?
  1. A natural, legally adopted or step child of a participant who is under the age of 21 at the time of the participant’s separation from service or of his/her death in service;
  2. Any child of the participant over the age of 21 who is found to have been incapacitated by illness or injury for substantial gainful employment; and
  3. A child born after the date of a participant’s separation from service or of his/her death in service and conceived before the date of his/her separation from service or of his/her death in service (i.e., child “in utero”). It is important to underline that not more than one child’s benefit shall be paid in respect of any one child.

Additionally, no child’s benefit is payable if a participant opts for a withdrawal settlement or for a deferred retirement benefit.

If I have a child after separation from service is that child eligible for a benefit?

No, child means a child existing on the date of separation from service, or death in service of a participant, who is under age 21, and who was normally reported to the Pension Fund by the former employing organization during service. However, a child conceived before separation may also receive a child’s benefit. The birth certificate must be sent to the Fund as soon as practicable in order for the child to be recognized as eligible for the benefit.

Would payment of a child’s benefit be continued beyond the age of 21 if the child were in full-time attendance at an educational institution?

No, the UNJSPF does not provide a benefit for children who continue their education after reaching age 21.

If there is an entitlement to a child’s benefit may I request the Fund to pay it directly to my child?

Yes you may, provided the child is over age 16 and is able to open a bank account. You should submit to the Fund the original of the completed Payment Instructions under Article 36 (Child’s benefit) form PF.23B that can be obtained from here on our website or on MSS.

Child's Benefit Amount & Calculations

How much is the child’s benefit? Are there any limits on the amount payable as a child’s benefit?

A child’s benefit is derived from the benefit payable to the participant. The annual amount of the child’s benefit is one-third of the participant’s benefit, subject to a minimum amount estimated at US$ 2,202.84 per year and to a maximum amount of US$ 4,380.96 per year as of 1 April 2023. Additionally, irrespective of the number of children, article 36 (f) sets forth a maximum amount that the Fund can pay in total for all the children of a participant.

Under what circumstances is an increased child’s benefit payable?

Subject to verification by the Fund and other applicable criteria, a higher child’s benefit under article 36 (e) may be paid to the child of a deceased beneficiary (participant, widow/widower, divorced surviving spouse) should the child become an orphan, or, should be the child of parents who never married, which case no spousal benefit is payable.

When does a child’s benefit commence?

Payment of the benefit generally starts at the time of a participant’s separation from service or upon him/her reaching normal retirement age, whichever is later, or at the time of a participant’s death in service.

How is the child’s benefit paid and for how long is it payable?

The child’s benefit is payable monthly and until the child reaches the age of 21, unless the child is found to be incapacitated for substantial gainful employment by the relevant SPC in which case the benefit continues in payment for as long as the child remains so disabled.

Can the child’s benefit be paid to someone other than the UNJSPF retiree/beneficiary?

Yes. Payment can be made to the parent who has custody of the child, if that parent is not the retiree/beneficiary, or to the legal guardian of the child if both parents are deceased.

LinkedIn Twitter