The benefits of retirees and beneficiaries who did not submit their 2021 Certificate of Entitlement (CE) form, Digital CE (DCE), or another valid signature document to the United Nations Joint Staff Pension Fund (UNJSPF) within the required time frame have been suspended effective with the June 2022 payroll. Hence, if your benefit payments stopped effective with the June 2022 payroll, it is most likely due to the non-receipt by the Fund of your 2021 CE.
In order to reinstate your monthly benefit payments, the Fund must urgently receive your valid proof of life, either in the form of the Digital CE issued inside the DCE app, OR of a valid signature document from you, which you must submit to the Fund in the format and manner explained below. Keep reading to know which documents you must submit to the Fund and how to do that.
What documents should I submit to request the reinstatement of my benefit?
- If you request the reinstatement of your benefit into the same account into which you received your regular monthly payments prior to the suspension, you must:
- Submit a dated and signed Certificate of Entitlement (CE) form. The CE form must bear your original ink signature and the signature date. You can use the physical CE form the Fund has mailed to you OR, if you are not paid under the Two-Track system, you can access, download and print your CE form inside your UNJSPF Member Self-Service (MSS) portal under the Document tab.
- If you cannot access or download the CE form, please provide a letter to the Fund, with your full name, your official address, your UNJSPF reference number (Unique ID or/and retirement number/s), your ORIGINAL ink signature and the signature date; the letter must also include the subject line: “CE related Benefit Suspension - Request for Reinstatement”.
- If you have successfully enrolled in the Digital CE (DCE) app, issue your 2022 DCE inside the app.
- If you request the reinstatement of your benefit into a new account that is different from the one into which you received your regular monthly payments prior to the suspension, you must submit:
- A duly completed, dated, and hand-signed form PF23 which you can access and print inside your MSS portal under the E-Forms tab or download here.
- A voided cheque or a copy of your recently dated bank statement or a screen capture of your recently dated online bank statement including your full name. Your name and the banking information on your statement must correspond to your name and the banking information provided on form PF23.
- A copy of your valid government-issued picture ID document (passport or another government-issued ID document that bears your full name, date of birth, and scripted signature).
How should I submit the required documents to the Fund?
You can submit the required documents by using one of the following methods:
- Electronic document submission in MSS:
Beneficiaries can submit pension-related information, including the annual CE or another valid signature document, inside their MSS under the Document Upload tab; documents must be first dated, and hand-signed and then transformed into PDF/JPEG format so they can be uploaded inside MSS (electronic signatures are NOT accepted).
This is the preferred and most time-effective way of submitting documents to the Fund.
*For guidance on MSS registration, please refer to the online tutorial here.
*For guidance on MSS Document Upload, please refer to the online tutorial here.
- Submission of original physical document(s) by mail:
Beneficiaries can send the required documentation to the Fund by postal mail, special courier, or pouch services. Signature documents must be in ORIGINAL format, carrying the beneficiary’s original ink signature to be accepted by the Fund. No photocopies of signature documents will be accepted in lieu of an original, verifiable signature. The Fund’s mailing addresses are provided on our website here.
- In person drop-off of original physical document(s) on site in New York or Geneva:
Drop-off mailboxes are available at the Fund’s locations in New York and Geneva, where duly completed, dated and signed documents can be remitted. Note that all signature documents must include your original ink signature, and ALL documents must include your full name and UNJSPF UID or other reference number, so that they can be correctly identified and indexed to your case file. Address details for UNJSPF offices are available on our website here.
- Issuance of the 2022 Digital CE (DCE) inside the DCE app:
You can enroll in the DCE app and issue your CE for 2022 in biometric format inside the app. For detailed information and guidance about the DCE, please refer to the dedicated DCE webpage Digital Certificate of Entitlement (DCE) - UNJSPF. Note that if you want your benefit to be reinstated into a new bank account, you will also have to submit to the Fund the additionally required documents as explained above.
Contacting the UNJSPF - Beneficiaries who cannot use any of the above-mentioned channels should please contact the Fund via the online Contact Us form identifying themselves as retiree/beneficiary, selecting the contact reason “Non-Receipt of regular monthly benefit payment”, and providing all the required information, so that we can assist.
Once we have received all required documents and confirmed they are acceptable, the reinstatement of your benefit will be initiated and normally you can expect to receive applicable retroactive payments within three to four weeks.
If you recently changed your address and have not, yet, reported your new address to the Fund, please also ensure to update your address, either inside your MSS account, under the Addresstab (available if you are not paid under the two-track), OR by submitting form PF23M which you can print from the MSS E-Forms tab or download from our website: Forms - UNJSPF. It is key that the Fund has your up-to-date contact details on file, including your personal email and telephone number, so that all UNJSPF mail reaches you and we can contact you whenever needed.
For detailed and up-to-date information about the Fund’s annual CE exercise and how you can comply with the annual requirement of providing your proof of life to the Fund, please visit the dedicated CE page and DCE pages on our website:
CE - https://www.unjspf.org/for-clients/certificate-of-entitlement/
DCE - https://www.unjspf.org/for-clients/digital-certificate-of-entitlement/